At TestBird, we are proud of our technology. We’ve worked very hard to ensure that we can do mobile functional game testing without the need of manual labor or long hours of testing. We wanted to create a product that was fast, efficient, and friendly to QA Leads and the developers of mobile games. Because of our experience in mobile phone testing prior to the start of TestBird, we were able to create tools that allowed us to test through automation, create reports and do more. This is all done through our testing technology that allows see exactly what’s going at all times in the process and share it with you.
How Does Automated Game Testing at TestBird Work?
TestBird CTO Delphi Deng and many of the developers who started TestBird started at Huawei, one of China’s biggest mobile phone and tablet companies. They have advanced experience in the Android and iOS operating systems from their work. Deng knew Android and the mobile device hardware extremely well and found ways to manipulate an Android device to act on its own.
From testing and tinkering on the technology, they were able to find ways to automate the installation, startup, and gameplay within a game without the need for human support. By using iOS’ and Android’s own operating system and popular mobile game engines, TestBird can test many of the tasks that would have to be done manually in the past.
Here is a diagram to help you understand the process. It’s comprised of a few steps:
- After a developer sends us the apk/ipa file and answers a few questions about which devices they want tested and other information needed for testing, an engineer at TestBird will send the file to the phones and start the automation
- As automation starts, it will install the file onto the system, install the game, and check for any installation errors. If errors occur, the phone will record these errors and send them to the server.
- After installation, the phone will start recording screenshots and phone information every second during the test. The phone will begin the startup phase of the game and see if there are any crashes, freezes, or other issues that could happen during this phase. Any issues are sent to the server
- When the game enters the main menu, the automation will go through any tutorial stage that was supplied in the game and run through each action. Any freezes and crashes are also sent to the server.
- Finally the game will be shut down and will look to make sure no errors occurred during this phase and the screenshots and logs will end.
- The server will collect all information and then place them onto TestBird’s Game Testing Developer account. Developers are given an account with password protection to view progress of the testing as well as the logs and screenshots from all tests.
- In 24 hours a report is created and sent back to the developer with information collated, summarized, and checked by our technicians.
The Benefits of our Technology
Because our technology works with or without the most popular game engines such as Unity3D, Cocos2D-X, Unreal Engine, and more, we able to go through tutorials, login to accounts, and play parts of the game without the need of manually doing any of the work. But for more extensive procedures in our testing, we recommend the advanced features of our “Eagle Eye” Technology.
With our combined speed of automation and reporting, we can provide quick testing that is accurate, extensive, and necessary for success in the mobile game market. Please try out a free trial of our testing tools and find out for yourself the results, or check out our sample report for more information.